Toy Trucks Omaha NE
In 1946, a small Minnesota company sought to manufacture gardening tools under the name Mound Metalcraft. This business model was quickly circumvented, however, when their side project of crafting metal toys became a much more viable market. By 1955, Mound Metalcraft became Tonka Toys Incorporated and that small side project became a childhood icon.
The word “Tonka” was an interesting choice, a Dakota-Sioux word for “great” and/or “big.” These days, Tonka is a word associated with great big trucks for kids. This is due to the famous line of metal construction vehicle toys that Tonka released in the mid-sixties.
The company spent many years with their metal trucks (dubbed the “Mighty” line), using the profits to acquire a barbecue manufacturer and expand their variety of products to attract other demographics.
This plan took off in the 1980s, when Tonka released Pound Puppies and Gobots. Though these were big sellers, the big yellow trucks never waned in popularity.
1991 came with a big change, as Tonka was bought out by Hasbro. Thankfully, the Tonka brand name never left, nor did their trademark trucks.
The original Mighty Tonka truck was, of course, the Mighty Dump Truck in1964. Back in the sixties, the line of yellow construction monsters also featured real rubber tires. At a whopping eleven pounds and big enough to haul a household cat (yes, I tried it), the truck is now a symbol of Tonka strength and durability.
Some of the marketing lines written for the early incarnations of the Mighty line included “Guaranteed for Life” and “Tonka Tough.” Rightly so, as the Mighty Dump is a common family heirloom that is safe in the hands of any generation.
Materials and designs
When I was a kid, I was fortunate enough to have some older metal Tonka trucks. They were suddenly scarce, becaus...
- Relive one of the most fun and exciting scenes from the movie
- Includes garbage truck, Woody and alien
- Load alien into top of truck then unload him out the back
- Turn handle to activate the garbage truck
- It's a whole new adventure every time you play
- motion-activated sound
- Loaded with chrome detailing
- 14-wheeler tractor trailer features a flatbed trailer with hydraulic lift
- Jet has Retractable landing gear 7 4 motion-activated sounds (climb, dive, left or right bank, and level flight)
- 2 button-activated sounds (engine ignition and take-off
- Made in Germany
- Constructed out of fade-resistant, high-quality ABS plastic, with no glue or screws
- Realistic details and functions encourage imaginative play
- Great for use indoors and outdoors
- Recommended Age Range 3+ Years